Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Family Happenings

A lot to catch up on, as always.

My 14 year old son came to stay with us (after a guilt trip via Mommy about changing plans without letting people know *cough*) the weekend of March 27. We ended up going to the fair on Saturday, although I had mentally boycotted it since they moved it to spring (on account of fall being hurricane season and all). It was actually kinda fun. I had sworn that I would never go to the fair again since it had switched locations (and now seasons, grrr), but I was outnumbered. Everyone enjoyed themselves.
Sunday, we went and visited with my grandparents on Mom's side of the family. My grandmother had been asking me to get oldest son over there to visit, so we took advantage of the fact that he was with us. We intended just to drop by for a little bit, but they were expecting company later and Granny was having problems with cooking Chicken Tetrazzini, so I did it for her. We didn't stay to eat, as it wasn't our intention. I hope the meal turned out okay, I had never made it before!

Monday, youngest son and I headed to our local Boy Scout office and I signed him up for Cub Scouts. I have not had any luck finding a homeschool group around here that isn't deeply seated in religious activity (which just isn't our cup of tea), and I didn't want to join one under the guise of being incredibly religious because I don't agree with lying. The point is that I felt that youngest son needed interaction with other children on a regular basis, so we decided scouts was a good idea. (maybe this will get some of my family members off my back about "lack of socialization") Friday we went to the first den meeting. Youngest son was a little shy at first, but he joined right in when he received our "okay".

We (being dh and myself) are happy with the den he is in. The pack, however, is another story. We met the cubmaster and I told her that we did not yet have ds's uniform. She said not to worry about it, that they were unconcerned with uniforms. This made a bad impression right off the bat, because the uniform is a huge part of scouts. There seems to be very little organization to the pack, and from what I have seen, they schedule events on the same days at council events, which is never a good idea. It looks like dh and I might have to get our feet wet, again. Time will tell, I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment